Sports & Events Grant Program – Policies
I. INTRODUCTION AND DEFINITION
The Treasure Coast Sports Commission (TCSC) is a 501(C)(3) not-for-profit Florida corporation created to attract local, state, regional, national and international events and sports-related business and activities to the Treasure Coast region on the eastern coast of Florida. These events provide tremendous exposure opportunities for Indian River County, St. Lucie County and Martin County and are a proven economic driver for the businesses in the Treasure Coast region. The Treasure Coast Sports Commission is a member of the National Association of Sports Commissions (NASC) and the Florida Sports Foundation.
The TCSC allocates funds from its annual budget to a grant program for Event Owners, Rights Holders, Tournament Directors, Groups and Organizations that coordinate events with a demonstrated history of visitor impact or significant potential to draw visitors to the area. The Sports and Events Grant Fund is administered by the TCSC with recommendations from designated advisory groups including the TCSC Event Grant Committee.
Direct sales, advertising or marketing programs that are either supplemental to, or are in conflict with the “Treasure Coast Sports Commission” direct sales, advertising or marketing programs do not qualify as a special event.
Each application will be evaluated against established criteria and historic precedent. The number and extent of these grants will be dependent upon the availability of designated funds and specific allocations. Ideally, the funds allocated by the TCSC will eventually be returned through an increase in transient lodging sales and the tourist development tax generated from those sales.
II. STATEMENT OF POLICIES
A. Event must meet a minimum of seventy-five (75) room nights to qualify for grant funds.
B. Grant funds are intended to supplement the sponsoring organization’s budget.
C. Funding is not intended to support administrative costs or non-public events. Funding is intended to support marketing and promotional efforts, venue/site rentals.
D. Hotels secured for the event must be located within Indian River, St. Lucie and Martin counties.
E. To be eligible for payment, a completed Post-Event Report must be submitted within 30 days after the completion of the event. The report must include tracking statistics regarding out-of-town visitors and their overall impact on the local economy, particularly on transient lodging facilities and occupancy.
F. Failure to submit a complete Post-Event Report will result in disqualification for support. If the event occurs near the end of the fiscal year, request for reimbursement must be received by August 31.
G. All grant funds awarded may be subject to audit.
H. To qualify for reimbursement, proof of insurance, which lists the Treasure Coast Sports Commission and appropriate county (Indian River, Martin and St. Lucie) as an additional insured, with a minimum liability of $1,000,000 per occurrence.
I. The TCSC may choose to lend assistance or administer grant funds approved in the form of advertising, public relations and promotions through its respective agency of record on behalf of the applicant.
J. Allowable expenses shall include the following:
• Marketing and programming expenses
• Paid advertising, and media buys outside of the area market
• Production and technical expenses
• Site fees/costs (contract help, rentals, insurance)
• Rights fees
• Sanction fees
• Non-monetary awards (medals, ribbons, plaques, etc.)
K. Unallowable expenses:
• General and administrative expenses
• Marketing within Indian River, St. Lucie and Martin County
• Building, renovating and/or remodeling expenses
• Permanent equipment purchases
• Debts incurred prior to grant request
• Programs which solicit advertising or sponsorships
• Hospitality or social functions.
L. Grant applications must be received before designated grant deadline as listed below. One application will be accepted per event, per fiscal year. In the event a grant application is received after the TCSC designated submission dates, the TCSC may elect to consider the application based upon funds available for the advertised grant cycle.
• Grant deadline – September 1 for events held after October 1, 2017 and January 1, 2018
• Grant deadline – November 1, 2018 for events held after January 1st of next year
• Grant deadline – January 15, 2018 for events held after April 1st of the same year
• Grant deadline – April 15, 2018 for events held after July 1st of the same year
III. FUNDING ELIGIBILITY
The intent of the Sports and Events Grant Program is to provide funding assistance for events that attract overnight visitors to Indian River, St. Lucie and Martin counties impacting the commercial lodging industry, hotels/motels, campgrounds, condominiums as well as restaurants, retail establishments and other businesses. To be considered for funding, the following criteria have been established:
Event must meet a minimum of seventy-five (75) room nights to qualify for grant funds
1. Each application must include a signed Certification and Compliance page
2. Event must take place between October 1, and September 30, of the upcoming fiscal year.
3. The event must have the potential to bring or have had past history of bringing out-of-town visitors.
4. Applicant may be asked to provide a marketing/promotions plan.
5. Applicant may be asked to provide a detailed event budget.
6. The event must use commercial lodging establishments within Indian River, St. Lucie and Martin counties.
7. Must provide proof of “Additionally Insured” certificate.
8. Applicant must provide details related to room night tracking process.